Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager & SQL 2005 Mgnt Studio coexist ?

Hi,
I have SQL 2000 Client (Enterprise Manager, QA etc) installed on my PC. I
would like to install SQL 2005 native client (Mgnt Studio etc) on the same PC.
Can they be coexisted and both can be used ? OR
I have to uninstall 2000 client first.
Regards,
Johnny
Hello,
They can co-exist. Make sure you installl the software in seperate
directory.
Thanks
Hari
"Johnny" <Johnny@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F553693B-19D1-4EA7-9EEC-062287EE1628@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have SQL 2000 Client (Enterprise Manager, QA etc) installed on my PC. I
> would like to install SQL 2005 native client (Mgnt Studio etc) on the same
> PC.
> Can they be coexisted and both can be used ? OR
> I have to uninstall 2000 client first.
> Regards,
> Johnny
|||Johnny (Johnny@.discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I have SQL 2000 Client (Enterprise Manager, QA etc) installed on my PC.
> I would like to install SQL 2005 native client (Mgnt Studio etc) on the
> same PC.
> Can they be coexisted and both can be used ? OR
> I have to uninstall 2000 client first.
They can co-exist as Hari said.
I just like to make a clafication: SQL Native Client is a single DLL
which contains an updated ODBC driver and an updated OLE DB provider
for SQL 2005. SQL Native is a redistributable component. SQL Native is
about the first which is installed when you run the SQL Server installation.
You are apparently thinking of the Workstation components, of which some
may use SQL Native Client, but far from all do. Management Studio, for
instance, uses SqlClient, a .Net provider. ("Native" in SQL Native Client
refers to that it is in native code, as opposed to the managed code of
..Net.)
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment