Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can Sql 2000 and Sql 2005 exist on same server?

My instructions are to install Sql 2005 on server BIGPETE2. I found that there was already an installation of Sql 2000, with databases that I was quite sure should remain as SQL 2000.

According to info I found on the internet, it should be possible to have separate instances of 2000 and 2005, so I went ahead and tried to install, giving the 2005 version a different name, BIGPETE2005. It didn't hit me with any error messages, but neither did it install a different database server. When I was finished, I was able to open Management Studio, but the only database server it could find to open was BIGPETE2, which is not what I wanted.

Enterprise Manager still works, and the mdf dates haven't updated, so I'm guessing the data is still safe, but I need both servers up and running.

Okay, I just read through the installation report, and I saw this:

Service pack requirement check:

Your upgrade is blocked because of service pack requirements. To proceed, apply the required service pack and then rerun SQL Server Setup. For more information about upgrade support, see the Version and Edition Upgrades topic in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

1. What service pack is it asking for?

2. And doesn't that imply that it's upgrading my Sql 2000 installation instead of installing a new instance of Sql 2005?

In Management Studio, you will be able to connect to both instances. To connect to your SQL 2005 instance, you'll need to supply machine name / instance name (ex: MACHINE/BIGPETE2005).

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

|||How do you connect to both instances in SQL 2005? Can we have a step by step with screen shots? Are any other modules needed such as the backwards compatibility module?

No comments:

Post a Comment